UPDATE: This post has been updated on the 31/10/2008 after the release of WASP 0.70 and a more detailed analysis of sites where no "recognized" solution was found.
As a follow-up of my previous post on automotive industry & Internet, I wanted to do a quick Web Analytics market research on the European automotive industry. I pointed out the importance for the automotive industry, of getting customer insights from the online channels to gain this little valuable advantage. So are automotive manufacturers using Web Analytics tools? And what are they using? To help me in my task, I used Stephane Hamel’s Web Analytics Solution Profiler (most know as WASP). Like Stephane Hamel did for the top 10 US & Canadian resellers, I had a go at European manufacturer websites.
The research covered the 5 major markets in Europe: UK, Germany, France, Italy & Spain and 31 brands present on the European markets including premium and luxury ones. That represents 142 websites. Note I only looked at official manufacturer websites. For some luxury brands like Ferrari, Lamborghini or Lotus, there is only one global site (no local ones or only official country retailer sites). That’s explain the total number (no, I didn’t get my maths wrong ;-)).
I used WASP to detect solution used and focused only on “core” Web Analytics solutions. I did not considered Ad tracking solutions like Double Click, Atlas & others nor Voice Of Customer (VOC) tools (e.g. iPerception, Psyma).
The full results can be downloaded here.
And the results are…
- 31 % of the websites use an industry-specific Web Analytics solution: eMetrics solution from Sophus3 – a management information solutions provider specialized in the Automotive industry. It uses page-tagging for data collection based on TouchClarity script & technology (WASP recognizes it as "Omniture Test & Target" but it is a different version specifically customized for Sophus3)
- Google Analytics has the largest share (23.2%) among traditional Web Analytics providers, before enterprise-class solutions. It seems to be used as a local solution rather than a global solution. Only KIA Motor, Maserati and Porsche implemented as group solution. It is often used in addition of other existing “group” solutions – probably used specifically for SEA campaign tracking (sometimes GA tag is only present on homepage or set of key pages).
- WebTrends is leading the "traditional" paid solutions (18.3%) ahead of Omniture (12.7%). In most case WebTrends is used as a group solution. Only few are using it as local solution. Omniture is also primarily used as a group solution. Well, knowing the cost, the contrary would be surprising.
- Few European solutions are present as well: the Dutch Nedstat (8.5%) and French Weboscope (7.0%), mainly used by French manufacturers. Here and there other tools were found at local level: Weborama (Audi France), XiTi (Peugeot France) & OneStat (Huyndai UK).
- For 10% of the websites, no known solution was found. It does not mean necessarily that these brands do not do any sort of Web Analytics but it may be limited. In some cases, like for Mercedes-Benz, an in-house solution seems to be used.
- Most brands have at least a group solution implemented. Many brands have centralized Web hosting, content management & Web Analytics in order to reduce costs. In few cases, some national companies are not using the group solution. Only few like Huyndai, Mitsubishi and Subaru seem to have no consistent solution. For example, Mitsubishi uses Omniture in Germany, France & Spain while it uses Google Analytics in UK and Italy. In several cases (16.2%), more than one Web Analytics tool was found.
- Finally, it worth to be noted that several premium & luxury brands are using the free Google Analytics like Porsche, Maserati & Lotus.
All in all the usage of Web Analytics in the European automotive industry is well developed. Surprisingly, it is a industry specific Web Analytics solution - Sophus3 eMetrics - that prevails over traditional Web Analytics solutions. Google Analytics adoption is quite important as it is used in many cases, often to complement existing solution (but not always). For the rest, there is quite a large mix of solutions – big ones (WebTrends, Omniture) and local ones (NedStat, Weboscope). The big absents: Coremetrics & IndexTools - sorry Yahoo! Web Analytics.
Of course, this only shows that most manufacturers have at least one Web Analytics tool implemented – it does not tell anything about how they use them and their level of “maturity” in Web Analytics practices.
If you have more details on tools used by any brand or notice errors, do not hesitate to let me know.
Feel free to comment.
Relate resources: WASP & other WASP Market researches
- Web Analytics Solution Provider (WASP) website
- WASP Market Research: What are the top resellers using? (US & Canada) by Stephane Hamel
- WASP Market Research: Analytics use by UK Universities from All Things Analytical
Note on Sophus3:
Sophus3 provides two types of online measurement products to automotive manufacturers. the first one, eMetrics is full Web Analytics solution used to measure & track websites activity like traditional Web Analytics solutions. The second one, eDataXchange is a collaborative benchmarking project for the automotive industry. A majority of manufacturers are participating to the eDataXchange project that uses the same tagging technology as eMetrics - both based on TouchClarity script (now Omniture Test & target). However for the benchmarking project, only a subset of key pages are tagged. for more information, see Sophus3 website.